If you’ve lost some or all of your teeth, you may be weighing your options for replacement – should you choose dentures or dental implants? Both can restore your smile and chewing ability, but each comes with benefits to consider for your individual needs and lifestyle.
As your trusted dental professionals here in Las Vegas, we want to help you make the choice that feels best. Let’s take a look at what dentures and implants involve, and how some key factors play into the decision:
• Removable plates made of acrylic that fit over your gums
• Can replace many teeth at once for a lower initial cost
• Allow for easy cleaning of your mouth and any natural teeth
• However, they may feel loose or cause soreness during adjustment
• Won’t stop further bone loss over time like implants can
Pros of Dentures:
• More affordable option compared to dental implants. The cost of dentures can range from $800 to $3000 depending on the type and number of teeth replaced.
• Can replace many teeth at once. Dentures allow a whole set of missing teeth to be replaced in one procedure versus replacing each missing tooth individually with implants.
• Removable for cleaning. Dentures can be removed for easy cleaning of both of the dentures themselves as well as the gums and any remaining natural teeth.
Cons of Dentures:
• Can cause discomfort. New dentures may feel awkward and loose and may cause gum soreness or irritation during the adjustment period. Some people never fully adjust.
• Do not naturally stabilize. Without being fixed in place like implants, dentures may shift or slip when eating, speaking, or smiling. Patients may need dental adhesives to help them feel more secure.
• Cannot restore tooth roots. Since dentures fit over the gums rather than replacing tooth roots, they do not prevent continued bone loss over time which can cause dentures to feel loose.
• Artificial tooth roots surgically placed into your jawbone
• Allow a more permanent replacement that feels just like real teeth
• Prevent ongoing bone loss and maintain your jaw structure
• Require multiple steps but give you the confidence to eat and speak freely
• Come at a higher initial price but provide lasting oral wellness
Pros of Implants:
• More natural appearance and feel. When implanted successfully, implants blend in well and mimic the look and functionality of natural teeth. They restore your ability to eat and speak normally.
• Prevent continued bone loss. By replacing tooth roots, implants help maintain jawbone density over time, unlike dentures which can contribute to bone deterioration.
• More secure option. Implants are not removable so you don’t have to worry about dentures slipping or getting loose throughout the day.
• Confidence and self-esteem boost. Without having to be taken in and out, implants boost confidence for smiling, laughing, and overall quality of life.
Cons of Implants:
• Higher upfront cost. Dental implants can range from $3,000 to $6,000 per tooth replaced. However, here at ABC Dental & Implants, the average price for one dental implant is only $2,500. We also offer a free X-ray and consultation, so feel free to call our team to schedule yours today.
• Multiple-step process. Placement involves two stages • surgery and then the prosthetic portion, drawing out the treatment timeline over months versus one procedure.
• Small risks of complications. A small percentage of patients experience issues like infection, nerve damage, or implant failure necessitating replacement surgery.
• Still requires maintenance. Regular dental visits are necessary to maintain good oral hygiene and monitor peri-implant tissues along with crown replacement every 10-15 years.
• Your oral health, age, budget, and expectations for appearance
• Ability to commit to ongoing implant maintenance long-term
• If you prefer the convenience of a removable option
• Your bone density and need for a temporary “bridge” solution
Schedule your FREE X-Ray & Consultation today. Call Now!
Our team at Discovery Dental & Implants can examine your unique situation and desires to craft a personalized solution. We want you to leave with a bright new smile and the right care plan for your lifestyle. Your comfort, function, and self-esteem are our top priority.
Let’s get started on your journey to renewed confidence. Book an appointment today to discuss dentures, implants, or other treatment paths that put your special needs first. You’ll be glad you did!
DISCOVERY DENTAL © 2023 All Rights Reserved.